Monday, February 2, 2015

Song Sparrow and a Carpet of Greens

Our song sparrow is back! We heard it's unmistakable song for the first time yesterday and again today. In 2013 I noted in a notebook that I heard it the first week of February. This is a video posted by someone else on Youtube of its sweet song announcing the coming of Spring! 




The maps of its habitat shows that they are a year round resident here so maybe it is like the yellowthroat - here all year, but only sings it's song in the spring. Could it really be that they are just silent without song all those months?

The ground at O'Neill Regional Park was covered in a lush carpet of greens this past week. They grow, awakened by the rains, all reaching for the sun together in beautiful harmony. We saw cutleaf geranium, shepherd's purse just beginning to bloom and some nettle, wild cucumber in full bloom, signs of chaparral sweet pea, and many other old friends to look forward to this spring.

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I am fairly new to my area though all of South Florida is very similar, and am still learning where to find nature places and the unique nature finds near to me. I love your other CM blog and had some questions for you. Is there a way I could email with you? Many thanks! Ana Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry I am just now seeing your comment! I'd be happy to email with you :)

      Delete